Music: Welcome Home – Radical Face
I used to work in the West Village and would constantly go to Il Tre Merli…particularly for this salad. I’m not much into salad and really like how Europeans eat it after dinner so I can, most often, skip over it entirely. This one is so refreshing and not at all salady (considering it contains fried goat cheese balls). I made a really nice maple syrup balsamic vinaigrette to put on top.
What you’ll need for the salad:watercress roasted red peppers toasted walnuts 4 oz. container of goat cheese 1/2 cup panko 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs 1/2 cup of cornmeal 1 egg 1/2 cup of flour 1/2 cup of canola oil.
- Wash and dry watercress.
- Roast the red peppers.
- Toast the walnuts in the oven for 5-7 minutes on 350 degrees. When cool coarsely chop.
- Scramble egg with a bit of water and place in a small bowl.
- Mix panko, cornmeal and breadcrumbs in bowl.
- Put flour in small bowl.
- Cut goat cheese into thin slices and then roll into small balls.
- Dredge goat cheese ball in flour, then egg and then panko/breadcrumb mix and set aside on plate.
- In small frying pan, heat canola oil over high heat.
- Place goat cheese ball in oil and fry for 1 minute on each side until golden brown.
- Place goat cheese on paper towel.
- Assemble salad.
What you’ll need for the salad dressing:1/2 cup balsamic vinegar 1/3 cup maple syrup 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard 1 tbsp. whole grain mustard
salt and pepper to taste 1 1/2 cup olive oil
- Combine vinegar, syrup, mustards and salt and pepper together.
- Mix in olive oil in a steady stream.